Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I've never been in a fight

In my entire life, I've never actually physically fought another person (siblings don't count). My parents taught me, and rightfully so, that you should always try to avoid fighting and try to settle disputes in non-violent ways. You can't argue with those words of wisdom. However, I can't help but wonder how I'd fare in an actual fight.

I'm not a big guy. I'm 5'9" and weigh 165 lbs. I'm not particularly strong as far as lifting weights. However, I think I have a surprising amount of practical strength. I'm athletic. I have very quick feet and even faster hands. My hand-eye coordination and reflexes are very good. Therefore, I think I could hold my own in a fight.

I suppose it would depend on the size of the person I was fighting. Anyone my height or shorter, I think I can hold my own. I have a friend who's 6'3" and a ripped 265 lbs. He'd crush me if I was freaking Bruce Lee.

Under most circumstances, I'm entirely non-confrontational. I don't argue with co-workers. I don't fight. I don't like telling people what to do. In fact, I demonstrate almost no leadership skills at all.

Anyway... The point of all this is that I really feel that if my back was against the wall, and I was forced to fight someone or take charge, I'd be great. Forget about the fighting part for the moment. As far as being a leader, I have all the skills necessary to be a good leader (which in pharmacy world would mean being a manager). I know how to organize. I know how to delegate tasks. I know what kind of rules and guidelines I would have in my ideal pharmacy. Most importantly, I know that my ideas would work, and if they don't, I have the intelligence and flexibility to make adjustments until they do work.

The reason I'm not more of a leader is because I'm hesitant to ruffle any feathers. I try to please everyone. That's always been one of my problems. On the bright side, all of my coworkers like me. On the downside, the pharmacy runs less efficiently than it could. I know how to fix our flaws. I just won't do it for fear of makiing people mad.

Alright... I'm running out of steam here. Still no word from eHarmony girl. Oh well... in retrospect, I don't think she was a good match for me anyway. She's pretty, and we have a lot of things in common, but she's not a good match intellectually for me. She's kind of superficial about a lot of things, and she has no appreciation of good film or good literature. Moreover, she has absolutely no interest in politics or world affairs. She's a nice girl. She's caring and knows how to be a good friend. However, I need someone who can challenge me intellectually.

If it turns out she's still interested, fine. If not, no big deal. I've been single for 2.5 years now. I'm pretty used to it by now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike i get what you mean about your girl situation. Kind of got the same thing myself but it is really hard to find the smart girls out here on campus these days. Most of them here are just drunk sluts or antisocial geeks (not that being a geek is bad, theyre just unapproachable). And its just so hard.Damnit... All the smart and good-looking ones are taken. =[

Anonymous said...

Maybe another thing to think about is that shes not as interested because you never made that move on her?

Anonymous said...

Being a girl, I can say that I almost guarantee your EHarmony girl is not interested in you for the sole reason that you avoided kissing her. That indirectly says to a girl that you may not be THAT interested in her and/or are not the go-getter type.