Thursday, September 13, 2007

And things were going so well...

The day was going well. We never fell behind all day. No one had to wait more than 15 minutes for a prescription. We didn't have a single customer complaint. Even Betty (horrible pharmacist) and Laura (recently licensed pharmacist) were getting along without incident (and they LOATH each other). I had the order for the store done and ready to be sent by 7:00 PM when my shift ended. I kept thinking, "Today is the day I'm going to get out on time."

The Pharmacy gods (not to be confused with The Pharmacy God) wouldn't allow it though. At 6:45, our data lines, which allow us to transmit claims to insurance companies, went down. The work flow came to a grinding halt. Because I'm such a great guy (read: idiot/glutten for punishment), I stayed late so that when the computers came back online, we'd be able to catch up.

Well... the computers never came back up, at least not by just after 8:00 when I finally decided to leave. I basically stayed over an hour late for nothing. The only good thing is that I don't have to work tomorrow, so I don't have to deal with the stuff we couldn't do tonight.

One thing of note from today... I've become the King of Customer Service. I have a knack for being overly helpful to people without sounding fake. Our pharmay manager is all about customer service, but he comes off sounding really fake. His tone of voice gets softer and slightly higher pitch. He breaks out the "yes, sir" and "no, sir," and makes sure to be excessively polite to everyone. I sound much more genuine than he does.

Every day it seems, I get customers coming in and thanking me for being so patient while helping them. My fellow employees have also commented on my incredible patience. I find this amazing considering I've never ever been a patient person. I'm the kind of person that needs everything done right away. I get mad when I go to see a show that and it starts 5 minutes later than it was supposed to. I hate things that waste my time. Yet at work, I somehow manage to keep outwardly cool while on the inside, I just want to kill someone or break something or kill someone while I break something.

Like I said, my coworkers comment about how I'm so patient when I answer questions or deal with people with complaints. I always ask them, "What else can I do?" If someone asks a question, should I just ignore them? If someone has a complaint, should I tell them to fuck off? Maybe Betty would, but I try to be the complete antithesis of Betty. Seriously though... What can you do? I have to be polite to people. If I know I can help someone, even if it takes 15 minutes of time that I don't really have, I have to help the person. Even if I can't stand the person I'm helping, even if it's something I absolutely hate doing (i.e. sitting on hold with an insurance company for 20 minutes), it's my job. I don't do these things out of the goodness of my heart. I do them because I'm obligated to.

Alright... enough rambling. Time for bed.

No comments: